It is fascinating how tracking our physical activity has evolved and how fitness tracking technology has become increasingly popular as people prioritize health and wellness. With the continuous growth of modern technology, it has become much easier for individuals to keep a record of their daily fitness journey. From watches to calorie tracking devices, these devices and apps empower individuals to take control of their fitness journeys by providing valuable insights and motivating them to lead healthier lives.
Read on as this piece elaborates more on fitness tracking technology, exploring the devices and innovations that are shaping the way we stay fit and healthy in today’s fast-paced world.
What is Fitness Tracking Technology?
Fitness tracking technology is all about devices and apps that keep tabs on your physical activity, health and fitness stats. They are like your personal fitness diary, helping you keep an eye on progress, reach your goals and make smart choices for your well-being. The idea of keeping track of our activity has been around for ages, but it was not until the late 18th century that the first basic pedometers showed up. These early gadgets, often called ‘step counters’, were simple machines that just counted your steps. Even though they were pretty basic, they kicked off a whole new way of tracking our fitness.
The digital revolution truly reshaped how we approach fitness tracking. Back in the early 2000s, names like Fitbit and Garmin stepped onto the scene, bringing with them the first wave of fitness trackers. These unassuming, wearable gadgets did not just tally steps, they delved into your sleep patterns and gave an estimate of calories burned.
Fast forward to today, and we have the likes of the Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy Watch, which have evolved into full-fledged health command centres. They go beyond the basics, measuring heart rates, keeping tabs on sleep cycles, checking blood oxygen levels, and even performing electrocardiograms (ECGs). It is impressive how everyday wearables have morphed into these health-savvy devices, putting the reins of wellness firmly in the hands of users. It is a game-changer, allowing individuals to truly own their journey towards better health.
Fitness trackers and smartwatches have transcended their consumer origins, making their mark in clinical settings. These nifty gadgets have expanded their repertoire to monitor chronic conditions, identify deviations in vital signs, and issue timely alerts, effectively building a bridge between consumer tech and healthcare.
While wrist-worn devices are prevalent, smartphones have quietly become powerful fitness-tracking tools. They come equipped with built-in sensors that diligently count steps, gauge activity levels, and provide a wealth of health information. The addition of apps further enhances this capability, revolutionising how we access and understand our health data. Your trusty smartphone has evolved into a health-conscious companion, conveniently placing valuable health insights right at your fingertips.
There’s a fitness app for everyone, whether you’re a seasoned athlete or just starting your fitness journey. Apps like Strava, MyFitnessPal and Nike Training Club offer personalised workouts, nutrition tracking, and community support. These apps leverage the smartphone’s capabilities to provide a holistic approach to fitness management.
ALSO READ: Outdoor Workout: Revitalising your fitness routine
Here are some key components and features of fitness-tracking technology:
- Wearable devices: Many fitness trackers are worn on the wrist like a watch or can be attached to clothing. These devices typically contain sensors to capture data such as steps taken, distance travelled, heart rate and sleep patterns.
- Smartphone apps: Mobile applications play a significant role in fitness tracking. These apps can sync with wearable devices or use the smartphone’s built-in sensors to record data like steps, GPS location and more.
- Health metrics: Fitness tracking technology can measure various health metrics, including heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, body temperature and even electrocardiograms (ECGs) in some cases.
- Activity tracking: These devices monitor physical activities such as walking, running, cycling and swimming. They provide insights into the duration and intensity of workouts.
- Sleep monitoring: Many fitness trackers can analyse sleep patterns, including the duration of different sleep stages like REM and deep sleep. This information helps users improve their sleep quality.
- Calorie tracking: Fitness trackers estimate calorie expenditure based on activity levels and other factors. This feature is useful for those interested in weight management.
- GPS tracking: Some devices have built-in GPS capabilities to accurately track outdoor activities and provide route maps.
- Social and community integration: Many fitness tracking apps and devices allow users to connect with friends and join fitness communities or challenges for motivation and accountability.
- Data visualisation: These technologies provide users with easy-to-understand charts and graphs to visualise their progress over time.
- Goal setting: Users can set fitness goals, such as daily step targets or weight loss goals, and receive notifications and rewards upon achieving them.
- Integration with other health services: Some fitness trackers can connect with healthcare providers or electronic health records to share health data and facilitate remote monitoring.
- Notification alerts: Smartwatches with fitness tracking technology are also capable of displaying smartphone notifications, making them versatile devices for both fitness and communication.
Top 10 Fitness Tracking Technologies
A variety of cutting-edge fitness tracking devices have made it simple to monitor our health in our fast-paced lives. There is something out there for everyone, whether you’re a serious athlete or just trying to establish a better lifestyle.
Let us explore several noteworthy fitness trackers and smartwatches that improve health and well-being.
Fitbit is a prominent brand recognised for its lineup of fitness trackers and smartwatches. They provided a diverse range of devices tailored to various fitness requirements.
2. Apple Watch
The Apple Watch, with its fitness and health tracking features, is a game-changer. It monitors heart rate and ECG and offers a comprehensive fitness app.
The top-of-the-line GPS-enabled fitness tracker, the Forerunner 255 from Garmin, is extremely popular among runners. With capabilities such as multi-band GPS, a barometric altimeter, a compass, and sophisticated sleep monitoring, it provides outstanding value. Various Bluetooth heart rate monitors may connect to the gadget as well. Remarkably, it can operate constantly for roughly 30 hours, with the ability to further save energy by turning off certain functionalities. By including crucial indicators like body battery, weather updates and greetings, the Morning Report feature—similar to what Apple provides—increases its attractiveness. It is a powerful machine designed specifically for serious athletes.
4. Samsung Galaxy Watch
People who are concerned about their health have several options thanks to Samsung’s Galaxy Watch series, which combines fitness monitoring with smartwatch functionality. Available in 40mm and 44mm sizes, the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 is a comfortable Wear OS wristwatch. It utilises the most recent Wear OS 3, which gives users access to Google Maps and Assistant. It provides important health functions including electrocardiograms, exercise tracking, SpO2 measures, and sleep monitoring. Charges must be made every day. Compatible exclusively with Android smartphones and only Samsung smartphones can access several health-related services.
5. Xiaomi Mi Band
Xiaomi’s Mi Band series is known for offering affordable fitness trackers with a range of basic health monitoring features. This particular fitness tracking technology had a unique user-friendly touch to it.
ALSO READ: Caring for your feet: Explore ways to pamper your feet to prevent ailments
Withings specialises in creating hybrid smartwatches and fitness trackers that prioritise both style and health monitoring. Their offerings include features like sleep tracking and body composition analysis. It boasts an impressive battery life, lasting up to a month—uncommon among fitness trackers. Notably, all features on the Health Mate app are accessible without a subscription. Unlike typical fitness trackers, the ScanWatch has the appearance of a regular analogue watch.
The fitness tracking technology list would be incomplete without mentioning Whoop. This device is a hit among athletes for its subscription-based fitness tracker, which places a strong emphasis on monitoring recovery, sleep quality and tracking physical strain. Heart rate is given priority in the “Daily Strain” measure. For updates, the app must be continuously operating. The most expensive of comparable subscriptions is the $30 monthly one. Extensive sizing might not be available in the exclusive apparel line.
8. Oura Ring
Another fascinating fitness tracking device is the Oura Ring. It is a standout wearable that is primarily focused on accurate sleep tracking and offers thorough health monitoring, all in the guise of a covert, ring-shaped gadget.
The Oura Ring has an amazingly small profile and appealing appearance. Its inbuilt sensors continue to operate with excellent precision. Access to personalised insights, instructional materials and guided meditations are all included with membership. You will still have access to the daily readiness, sleep and activity scores if you do not have it. Notably, the ring is sensitive enough to spot a tiny temperature decrease of half a degree before the start of your period, which helps with forecasting.
Polar offers fitness watches designed for serious athletes, providing advanced metrics and analysis for sports training.
10. Huawei Watch GT
Huawei’s Watch GT series brought together fitness tracking and extended battery life, catering to users who appreciated prolonged usage without the need for frequent charging.
ALSO READ: High-intensity training: Vigorous workout routines that bring you faster, desired results